Step 1: Building the Foundation
The first aspect of coaching is to understand where the client currently is. This can be done through a variety of methods including:
- Designing the Alliance – the coach and the manager go over all the agreements of coaching including
- Coaching Skill Assessment – Assesses the client in many areas of management performance. This
assessment can also be given to direct reports/peers/management to provide further feedback on other’s
- Initial Intake Assessment – this is an instrument that is already developed and can be tailored to the
needs of each client
- 360 feedback from employees/peers/managers – can be a formal process using a 360 form or a process
where the coach gathers the information confidentially from other employees
- MBTI assessment. The MBTI (Meyers Briggs Type Indicator) helps individuals understand their own
personal preferences and areas of potential opportunity in the work environment
- Review of assessments already completed – this would be in the case that your organization has already
completed a 360 degree feedback process and/or other work style assessments
Step 2: Creating the Path
The second step uses the data gathered above to create the pathway for future coaching. This is done using the following methods:
- Having the client read “What Makes a Leader” by Daniel Goleman.
- Using The Successful Managers Handbook or other resources to set goals around their performance.
- Using The Successful Managers Handbook or other resources to define action steps for the client.
- Evaluating with the client the above data that was collected, providing feedback on possible areas of
opportunity for the client.
- Allowing the client to formulate goals/action plans based on the assimilation of the above information.
Step 3: Taking Action
The third step focuses on moving the client forward toward the established goals. This step is accomplishedthrough the following:
Step 4: Review for Progress
In the fourth step, at the end of each call/meeting, a review process occurs. The client and the coach review progress/barriers and decide on the next steps that will be taking during the following week. This step may include:
© 2003 Shannon Rios Reprinted by Permission Only
RIOS COACHING INITIAL INFORMATION SESSION AND METHODOLOGY
- Understand your business
- Increase employee/management satisfaction
- Increase employee engagement and productivity
Leadership High Performance Strategies:
- Identify manager/employees values and needs – intrinsic vs. extrinsic
- Organizational Values/Culture
- Identify barriers and create success strategies
- Present, Centered and Connected Management
- Employee Engagement Techniques
- Emotional Intelligence Work
- Building Trust
- Create High Performance Strategies